|Type of contract||Individual Contract|
|Term contract||25 days|
Since the 1950s, most EU South Mediterranean Neighborhood countries have ratified the ILO’s Conventions on social dialogue. Some of them have implemented an Economical and social Committee (ESC). However, the role of the ESC was overall very weak with a negligible contribution to the economic and social policy making due to the highly centralized nature of the political systems in these countries.
The major political changes which happened in 2011 and concerned mostly all South Mediterranean Countries, at different extents, showed the limits of the economic and social policies followed so far and made more evident the need of institutional reforms. The social dialogue in the Mediterranean region has been, so far, government driven: they define its agenda, its periodicity and its operating rules. This experience of an unbalanced dialogue has not been fruitful. In some of the countries, constitutional changes had been successful, while in others they led to persistent and destructive in-house military confrontations.
Since 2008, the EU has engaged – in the framework of the UfM – in a process that associates governments and representatives of employers and employees. This process aims to give a “more effective” role to the social dialogue in the Mediterranean neighborhood. A Euromed Social Forum was launched, and a Working Group of high-level experts was created in January 2015 in order to formulate suggestions for considering « a proper functioning of the social dialogue » in the southern rim of the Mediterranean. One of the first proposals given by this group of experts was the implementation of a pilot project in three countries (Morocco, Tunisia, Jordan) that could expand to other countries of the UfM partnership.
Building on the achievements and lessons learned from the past, as stated in the call for proposals, the objective of this project is to provide employers organizations and workers organizations, as well as CSOs and local communities located in the three target countries, with the expertise needed to jointly identify the issues that could be raised by consensus to achieve a more dynamic dialogue with governments (such as the urgency to create a representative and effective social dialogue structure. The ultimate objective is to strengthen dialogue capacities between the target groups for projecting a balanced and sustainable social dialogue and societal dialogue.
Project’s objectives: “the Promotion of Social Dialogue in the Southern Mediterranean Neighborhood: South Med Social Dialogue Project”
Provide employers ‘organizations (employers’), the private sector, trade union organizations of workers, local communities, with a broad consultation with civil society expertise to identify relevant issues to achieve a more dynamic and innovative dialogue with the Government. Strengthening dialogue capacity among different stakeholders to project a sustainable and stable institutionalized social dialogue in Tunisia, Morocco and Jordan, as being an economic and a social development key factor.
Targets: Labor Organizations of employers, the government, the private sector, trade union organizations of workers, local communities and civil society.
Diagnosis of attitudes and positions of the employers’ associations towards the social dialogue and the different practices in the region. National research on the role and positions of national member organizations in the social dialogue process on the company’s plan in different sectors, assess the challenges and practices of social dialogue within the company, the practice of collective bargaining and results:
- Provide an overview of the role and position of employer organizations in the social dialogue process on the company plan, sectors, and legal framework of social dialogue;
- Case studies: Diagnosis on the basis of 30 companies in Jordan (minimum 4 sectors): situational analysis of social dialogue within the company, the practice of collective bargaining and its results;
- Recommendations on the specific needs of each social partner and an action plan on capacity building volts: representatives from JCI, employers, HR management …: reliable recommendations to all stakeholders in the project’s objective;
- Participate in the preparation of a national workshop for strengthening capacities of social partners: leading a thematic session (working groups) at the national workshop which main objective is to strengthen the capacity for dialogue between the various parties’ stakeholders project;
- Present a detailed report on the mission’s progression;
- Participate to a regional workshop and present the diagnosis;
- A preliminary validation of each step of the mission with the project questionnaires, selection of enterprises vis-à-vis.
At the end of their mission, the expert will provide:
1/ A final report:
- Providing an overview of the role and position of employer organizations in the social dialogue process on the company plan, sectors, and legal framework of social dialogue;
- Case studies: Diagnosis on the basis of 30 companies in Jordan (minimum 4 sectors): statements of places of social dialogue within the company, the practice of collective bargaining and its results;
- Recommendations on the specific needs of each social partner and an action plan on capacity building volts: representatives from JCI, employers, HR management …: reliable recommendations to all stakeholders in the project objective;
2/ Participate in the preparation of a national workshop for strengthening capacities of social partners
Participate in the preparation of a national workshop for strengthening capacities of social partners: leading a thematic session at the national workshop whose main objective is to strengthen the capacity for dialogue between the various stakeholders of the project
3/ Participate to a regional workshop to present the results of the diagnosis
Participate in a regional workshop to present the diagnostic results with other experts with the presence of the social partners in each country
Skills and Qualifications:
Academic and professional skills
- Graduate degree with a university education (bac + 5), preferably in the field of Humanities and Social Sciences, Science of political communication and international development; or related field.
- Have a large bearing experience in capacity building of organizations and institutions; in project management / networks, particularly the capacity building activities; (At least 5 years)
- Have a minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience and diverse in capacity building or program management programs; proven experience within non-governmental organizations at international level is highly recommended;
- Good knowledge: especially in social dialogue is strongly recommended;
- Show enthusiasm and initiative;
- Possess interpersonal skills above the average;
- Demonstrate an ability to manage stress;
- Being able to support and conduct several activities simultaneously;
- Being able to live and work in a difficult socio-political context;
- Show loyalty qualities, confidence, flexibility and diplomacy.
Contract Duration and remuneration:
The mission will take place 01/07/2016 to 25/07/2016 and to be primarily based in Amman with potential displacement.
The fees will be defined after financial offer and in accordance with the grid of the European Commission based on the level of study, expertise, level of security and performance. The payment shall be made by the end of the mission, upon receipt of the final report.
Terms of submission
- The candidates are invited to send their application (CV and Cover letter) to: [email protected], with the mention: “Application – SD Expert”
- The deadline is scheduled for: June 27th 2016